Termite Prevention Tips - 18 Ways To Avoid Termites In Your Home
Termite Prevention Tips
- Ensure ground water drainage flows away from / around your home. Ground level should slope away from house and / or soil drainage systems should be installed. If you have a moist sub-floor, installing fans may also be beneficial.
- Damp sub-floors are highly attractive to termites
- Don’t have a watering system or regularly water plants adjacent to the house. This really means you need to avoid substantial garden beds adjacent to the house.
- Watering systems and mulch can make the perimeter of your home very attractive to termites
- Ensure roof guttering and downpipes do not leak and they correctly discharge to the storm water drains.
- Make sure any external taps are not dripping and ideally have a drain underneath.
- Check for leaks in the kitchen, bathroom and laundry. (You may need a plumber or pest inspector to help here).
- Do not use wood mulch immediately adjacent to the house. If you must use wood mulch, make sure it has been treated with an appropriate insecticide or it is classed as termite resistant timber. Keep in mind, termite resistant does not mean termite proof!
- Using pebbles as mulch and plants in pots are a termite smart option
- Make sure any waste timber or cardboard boxes (also great termite food) are thrown out or stored above ground level, ideally away from the building.
- Make sure any firewood is stored off the ground away from the building. Firewood needs to be stored off the ground (on a metal framework)
- Firewood should be stored away from the house on a metal stand
- Keep the perimeter of your home clear of plants and stored items. If you can’t see the edge of the building you won’t be able to see any termite ‘break-ins’!
- If you have a sub-floor, avoid the temptation to store your excess / unwanted items in this inviting area. Stored goods prevent your ability to see any termite activity and also reduce ventilation. If the stored goods include wood or cardboard boxes, you are also providing some nice termite food!
- Remove stored timber and cardboard boxes from the sub-floor
When you do your annual Spring clean, work through this list… it could save you from a very expensive termite attack! If you get your annual termite inspection at the same time – it will reinforce these general termite prevention tips and provide some specific actions for your property. Hopefully, your house will get the termite “all clear”.
What our customers say...
July 21, 2022.
Jake was very professional, considerate of our pets and did a great job. Would highly reccomend
July 19, 2022.
Easy to work with, turned up on time and did the services pre discussed. Will use them again for future pest extermination and inspections.
June 15, 2022.
Very Professional service . The German cockroaches were treated successfully . Jake is very professional and was very understanding when we had to reschedule the appointments . We are very thankful and happy for the service.
June 7, 2022.
I had the pleasure to meet Jake from OzPest Solutions. He was great to deal with, very courteous and professional. He answered all of my questions and was very knowledgeable. I would 100% recommend Jake and OzPest Solutions to everyone and will be using them for all future pest needs
June 3, 2022.
I recommend this business he definitely done a great job and was very helpful in any questions i had
May 18, 2022.
Jake from OzPest Solutions is extremely professional. He is always on time and keeps you updated with reminders. Jake only sprayed yesterday morning and we are already (less than 24hrs) seeing results. Thankyou Jake and OzPest Solutions for a fantastic job
April 4, 2022.
Jake was very thorough he didn't miss a thing much better than others I've employed in the past I would highly recommend ozpest solutions to anyone 😀 😉 👍
February 22, 2022.
We got our pest control done by OzPest Solutions. We found Jake to be courteous, knowledgeable and prompt. He even rescheduled his job to accommodate our urgent request. The house looks fantastic and free of pest. Thank you Jake for such a wonderful service. We will surely be using you and your team in future.
February 15, 2022.
I would highly recommend Jake as he was friendly, professional and explained everything to me. Thank you again for the great job you did spraying my house.
February 13, 2022.
Highly recommend. Very thankful for Jake helping us out with our spider problem. Our home is now spider free. Will be using OzPest solutions in the future.